Monday, November 24, 2008

Uncle Johnathon...A letter from Mia

Julia,

I had the most interesting conversation with Uncle Johnathon today. I told him that I was writing these letters to you. We started talking about all the times that we shared. We took quite a trip down memory lane. Boy, did we have some good laughs. I am so fortunate to have him as my friend. I will never forget how we met.

It was during the second year of my life with your Father. We were having another one of our "break-ups" and I had decided to go out to the night club alone. By now, I was a regular and I had so many friends there, I was quite comfortable with showing up alone. Your Father was there, of course. He was almost part of the decor! You would think he was getting paid to be there. He sure loved the clubs.

Half way through the night, I was wandering around looking for people to talk to. The night had been quite uneventful. When I walked up to the edge of the dance floor to see who was dancing, I noticed this young guy sitting in a chair. He was half way on the dance floor, staring at his feet. Now, you can imagine that this is not a normal sight in a night club! Being the big flirt that I am, I strolled over and walked past him. In doing so, I leaned down and waved my hand in front of his lowered face. When he looked up at me, I smiled and waved, "Hello." I didn't get much of a response other than a weak smile, so I moved on. I was pretty disappointed since he was really cute!

Later that night, Johnathon approached me and introduced himself. He asked me to dance. From the very first start, I could tell that he was quite the gentleman! We danced and he goofed off and made me laugh like crazy the entire time. I was so busy laughing, I didn't have enough energy to be embarrassed by it all!

At the end of the night when everyone was leaving, I ran into him again in the lobby. His friends were with him, as mine were with me. I asked him if they would like to join us for breakfast. He thanked me and told me that they already had plans. He suggested the next weekend if we were going to be out again. He asked me for my phone number. It was very rare that I would give my number to a total stranger, but something in Johnathon's face told me that I could trust him. I waited for him to get a pen and he laughed while I just stood there. He told me to just tell him. I thought he must be really drunk to think he could remember it! So, I recited my number and wrote him off. We said our goodbyes.

I didn't hear from him all week and thought for sure he had forgotten my number. That Friday, he actually called! I was so shocked that he could remember my number. We talked for a little bit and we both admitted that we had both been at the club trying to ignor our exes! I guess his was giving him a hard time and he wasn't able to enjoy himself at all until I interrupted his foul mood. He asked me if I was planning to go out the next night. I told him that I was, but didn't know for sure. He asked if he could call back to check and that maybe we could plan on meeting up and do breakfast afterwards. I told him that it sounded like a plan! Well, plans never seem to work out quite right, do they?

The phone rings and I ignore it, hoping that it is for my Mom or Dad. Nope, no such luck. My Mom yells my name from the hallway and tells me that it is for me.

I should really get my own phone line!

I wipe my tears and take a deep breath as I pick up the phone. Before I say anything else, I ask my Mom to hang up on her end.

"Hello?"

"Wow, cool! I didn't know you knew another language."

A little confused by the voice on the other end, "Um, yeah. I do. That was my Mom. Uh, who is this?"

A low chuckle on the other end, "So, she forgets me already. I was suppose to call back today, remember?"


I realize that it is Johnathon. "No. I really didn't think you would. Um, is it alright if I have your number and call you back?"

A pause on the other end. "Mia? Is everything alright? I'm sorry I didn't pick up on it at first, but either you have a really bad cold or you've been crying?"

I hesitate before I answer. "Um, no I'm not really OK, but I should just go and maybe we can talk later?"

"Mia, I know you really don't know me at all, but I wish you would just tell me what's wrong. I promise that I won't say anything. Hell, who the heck would I say anything to? Do we even know the same people?"

Something in his soft and soothing voice tells me that it's OK to trust him. I sit here in silence not knowing if I should say anything.

"Mia? Please, really, I would love to be your friend. Let me be your friend. I could come pick you up if you want to go somewhere quiet and talk."

The tears begin to flow faster. I take a deep breath and say in a shaky voice, "I just took a pregnancy test. It came out positive."

Silence. Total and complete silence.

Great.

"Oh. Gees, does your ex know? Have you told him yet?"

"Yeah. I just called him a little while ago. He didn't say much. It doesn't sound like he's overly excited to hear from me to begin with! We really didn't talk at all. I don't know what to do."

"Do you want me to come get you?"

"No, I don't think I really have much to say. I'm still in shock, I think. You should just go out and have some fun, don't worry about me. It's not your problem. You don't even know me!"

"Mia, I know it isn't my problem. I want to help."

I sigh again and try to stop crying. "Please, just go out. Thanks for listening and being there for me. I think I just need some time to myself."

Silence from him.

"Mia, take down my pager number. Promise me, promise you will call me if you change your mind and need someone to talk to? I guess there's nothing else I can really do if you don't let me. I'll understand i you don't call me back at all. I just hope that you will."

I take down his number and I thank him again. I hang up the phone and crawl deeper under my covers. I just don't know what to do.

Johnathon was so sweet to offer me a shoulder to cry on and he didn't even know me at all. I think back on that night and smile. He has been there fro me from the very start.

Julia, your Uncle Johnathon is one exceptional man. I think that if timing had been different, we would have ended up being much more. I am blessed to have him as my friend. Then again, how we became such good friends is a whole story in it's own!

A story I'll have to save for another day. Maybe tomorrow.

Love,
Your Mother

No comments: